South Korea to Repatriate 300 Workers Detained After Hyundai Raid in Georgia

South Korea announced on Sept. 7, 2025 it has secured the release of roughly 300 of its nationals detained after a large U.S. immigration raid at Hyundai Motor Group’s electric-vehicle site in Ellabell, Georgia, and will arrange a charter flight to bring them home once remaining administrative steps are completed.

Key Takeaways

  • About 475 people were detained in the Sept. 4, 2025 raid; South Korea says more than 300 detainees are its citizens.
  • Detentions occurred at Hyundai’s Ellabell EV plant, a major U.S.–Korea investment involving LG Energy Solution.
  • Most detainees were taken to the Folkston, Georgia immigration facility; none had been formally charged as of the U.S. statement.
  • U.S. authorities said detainees included people who crossed the border illegally and those with expired visas or visa-waiver entries that prohibit work.
  • Seoul says negotiations with U.S. officials are finalized and a charter will be dispatched after administrative clearances.
  • Foreign Minister Cho Hyun planned to travel to the U.S. for follow-up talks; the presidential office emphasized protection of nationals’ rights.

Verified Facts

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Homeland Security Investigations led the operation at Hyundai’s large EV manufacturing complex in Ellabell, Georgia, on Sept. 4, 2025. Video released by U.S. authorities showed federal agents directing workers to line up and applying restraints to some detainees.

Federal officials reported 475 people detained during the sweep; South Korean officials have consistently said more than 300 of those detained are South Korean nationals. According to HSI, detainees were moved to processing facilities, with many taken to the Folkston detention center near the Florida border.

Steven Schrank, the lead HSI agent in Georgia, told reporters the investigation was ongoing and that no criminal charges had been filed at that time. HSI said the detained group included people who entered unlawfully as well as individuals whose visas had expired or who had entered under a visa-waiver program that does not permit work.

Seoul’s presidential chief of staff, Kang Hoon-sik, said South Korea and the U.S. finalized negotiations on the detainees’ release and that a charter plane will be sent once routine administrative arrangements are completed. South Korea’s Foreign Ministry said it had dispatched diplomats to the site and expressed concern and regret about the incident.

Context & Impact

The raid has diplomatic and economic implications: Hyundai’s Ellabell project has been described by Georgia officials as one of the state’s largest economic development endeavors and involves a supply-chain partnership with LG Energy Solution to produce EV batteries.

The incident comes after recent high-level U.S.–South Korea engagements, including a July agreement in which South Korea committed to large energy purchases and investment pledges in the U.S. Seoul says it expects its nationals’ rights and the operations of Korean firms not to be unfairly impeded during U.S. law-enforcement actions.

Possible effects include accelerated reviews of visa arrangements for business travelers and project workers, increased diplomatic engagement over consular access and worker treatment, and pressure on companies to ensure compliance with U.S. immigration and labor rules.

  • Potential short-term disruptions to the Ellabell site’s schedule if detained workers are needed for construction or early operations.
  • Heightened scrutiny of recruitment and verification practices for foreign workers on major U.S. projects.

South Korea will work with U.S. authorities to bring detained nationals home and to review systems that affect workers on overseas investment projects.

Office of the President, Republic of Korea (Kang Hoon-sik)

Unconfirmed

  • The precise final tally of South Korean nationals among detainees (Seoul reports “more than 300”; official U.S. tallies list 475 total detained).
  • The exact timeline for departure flights and the number of workers who will travel on the initial charter.
  • Whether any detainees will face future criminal charges as the investigation continues.

Bottom Line

The agreement to repatriate roughly 300 South Koreans reduces an immediate diplomatic flashpoint, but the incident highlights risks tied to large cross-border labor deployments and could prompt Seoul and U.S. officials to tighten visa oversight and employer compliance. Monitoring will focus on the speed of repatriation, treatment of remaining detainees, and any changes to visa or recruitment rules affecting multinational projects.

Sources

Leave a Comment