UN warns narrow window to prevent Gaza famine as Israel pounds Gaza City

On Sept. 7, 2025, U.N. aid chief Tom Fletcher warned there is a “narrow window” until the end of September to stop famine spreading in Gaza as Israeli forces intensify strikes around Gaza City and aid deliveries struggle to meet urgent needs.

Key Takeaways

  • The U.N. says hundreds of thousands in Gaza face or risk famine, with the window to act closing by end‑September.
  • Israel has stepped up operations near Gaza City and urged civilians to evacuate high‑rise buildings it says Hamas uses.
  • COGAT reported distribution of aid from more than 1,900 trucks last week, mostly food.
  • Overnight strikes in Gaza City killed 14 people, including casualties at a school sheltering displaced people.
  • Humanitarian agencies say aid flow remains insufficient after an 11‑week halt to deliveries this year.
  • The war’s human and political costs are increasing pressure for a ceasefire, including protests inside Israel.
  • Key actors: U.N. aid chief Tom Fletcher, Israel’s COGAT and military, Israeli FM Gideon Saar, Hamas official Basem Naim, Danish FM Lars Løkke Rasmussen.

Verified Facts

Tom Fletcher, the United Nations aid coordinator, said there is a limited period “until the end of September” to prevent famine spreading from already affected areas such as Gaza City to central and southern districts including Deir al Balah and Khan Younis. The U.N. and global hunger monitors report hundreds of thousands are experiencing acute food insecurity or face imminent famine.

Israeli Defence Ministry agency COGAT said more than 1,900 trucks, primarily carrying food, were distributed into Gaza over the past week. Israel maintains it is facilitating humanitarian aid for civilians while stressing operations target Hamas positions.

Photo: Smoke and flames after an airstrike in Gaza City, Sept. 7, 2025 (REUTERS/Khamis Al‑Rifi).

Israeli forces have advanced to the outskirts of Gaza City and issued warnings asking residents to leave taller buildings they say are being used by militants. Israel has not provided publicly verifiable evidence that those specific high‑rises were used by Hamas; Hamas denies the allegation.

Local health authorities reported 14 people killed across Gaza City overnight, including deaths at a school in southern Gaza City that had been sheltering displaced civilians. The Israeli military said it struck a militant target and said civilians were warned prior to the strike.

Context & Impact

The humanitarian situation in Gaza follows an Israeli military campaign launched after the Oct. 7, 2023 attack by Hamas that killed roughly 1,200 people and saw about 251 people abducted. Since then more than 64,000 Palestinians have been reported killed in subsequent hostilities.

Supply interruptions earlier this year — including an 11‑week pause in aid from March until mid‑May — have left food stocks severely depleted, and aid agencies say the current scale of deliveries is far short of what is needed to avert mass hunger.

The Israeli government says hostages remain a central issue: of the group still held in Gaza, about 48 are believed to be there and roughly 20 of them are thought to be alive. Israeli officials, including Foreign Minister Gideon Saar, say the conflict could end if hostages are freed and militants disarm.

Domestically, public sentiment is shifting: tens of thousands took part in protests in Israel calling for an end to the campaign and for hostage releases. Internationally, officials including Danish Foreign Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen urged Israel to change course and prioritize humanitarian concerns.

Official Statements

“There is a narrow window – until the end of September – to prevent famine from spreading to Deir al Balah and Khan Younis.”

Tom Fletcher, U.N. aid chief

“We will continue facilitating humanitarian aid into Gaza for the civilian population – not Hamas.”

COGAT (Israeli defence agency)

Unconfirmed

  • No independently verifiable evidence has been provided in public that specific high‑rise buildings were used by Hamas as command posts.
  • Exact survival status of all hostages remains fluid and partly unconfirmed by independent sources.

Bottom Line

Humanitarian officials say immediate, sustained increases in safe aid access are required within weeks to avoid famine spreading in Gaza. Political and security decisions in the coming days will determine whether that narrow window closes or opens further opportunities for relief.

Sources

Leave a Comment