On Sept. 7, 2025, South Korea and the United States reached an agreement to repatriate more than 300 South Korean nationals detained in an immigration sweep at a Hyundai construction site in Georgia; Seoul says it will send a charter plane once remaining administrative steps are completed.
Key Takeaways
- About 300 South Korean workers will be returned home after a large immigration raid at a Hyundai plant in Georgia.
- U.S. authorities initially detained 475 people during the operation; most were reported to be South Korean nationals.
- Detainees were held at a detention center in Folkston, Georgia; no criminal charges had been announced as of Sept. 7.
- Seoul dispatched diplomats and plans to send its foreign minister to Washington for follow-up talks.
- Some detainees reportedly entered the U.S. illegally, others had expired visas or entered on visa waivers that prohibit employment.
- Officials said Seoul will press for visa-system reviews for business travelers tied to investment projects.
Verified Facts
U.S. immigration authorities said on Friday that agents detained 475 people during a sweep at a Hyundai manufacturing site in Georgia where the company, with partner LG Energy Solution, is building facilities to produce electric-vehicle batteries. South Korean officials say more than 300 of those detained were South Korean nationals.
Most of the individuals taken into custody were transported to the immigration detention center in Folkston, Georgia, near the Florida line. Steven Schrank, the lead Homeland Security Investigations agent in Georgia, told reporters the investigation is ongoing and that no criminal charges had been filed against detainees at the time.
South Korea’s presidential chief of staff, Kang Hoon-sik, said Seoul and Washington finalized negotiations on the workers’ release and that a charter aircraft will be arranged once administrative steps are finished. South Korea’s foreign ministry also described the situation with “concern and regret” and sent diplomats to the site.
U.S. officials described a mix of immigration statuses among those detained: some had entered the country unlawfully, while others had overstayed visas or arrived under visa-waiver programs that forbid paid work. Video released by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement showed agents directing workers to line up and securing some detainees with restraints during the operation.
Context & Impact
The raid drew attention because the site is among Georgia’s largest economic development projects and involves significant South Korean investment. In July, Seoul agreed to purchase $100 billion in U.S. energy and pledged $350 billion in U.S. investments, developments that had followed a high-profile meeting between President Lee Jae Myung and U.S. President Donald Trump.
The incident strains diplomatic sensitivities between close allies and raises questions about the protection of foreign workers on major investment projects. South Korean officials say they will push for clearer safeguards and a review of visa rules applied to business travelers and project personnel.
- Economic: Potential disruption to Hyundai’s construction timeline and local supply chains while legal and administrative processes proceed.
- Diplomatic: Seoul’s decision to send its foreign minister to Washington signals high-level engagement to resolve the matter.
- Policy: The case may prompt discussions on visa enforcement and employer compliance on both sides.
Official Statements
“We have finalized negotiations with the U.S. to secure the release and repatriation of our nationals, and we will send a charter plane once procedures are complete.”
Kang Hoon-sik, Chief of Staff to President Lee Jae Myung
Unconfirmed
- The exact final number of South Koreans who will be repatriated (reports say “more than 300”).
- Whether any of the detainees will face criminal charges as the investigation continues.
- The precise timeline for the charter flights and return processing beyond broad statements from Seoul.
Bottom Line
The agreement to repatriate roughly 300 South Korean workers eases an immediate diplomatic flare-up between Seoul and Washington, but it leaves open questions about visa enforcement, corporate responsibility, and the status of the remaining detainees. Officials from both countries will likely continue negotiations on travel rules and protections tied to major bilateral investments.