Lead: On Sept. 7, 2025, the Department of Homeland Security announced an ICE operation called “Patriot 2.0” in Massachusetts, saying agents will target and remove criminal immigrants who entered the U.S. unlawfully; local officials in Boston and Massachusetts criticized the move and pledged legal and operational resistance.
Key Takeaways
- ICE announced “Patriot 2.0” on Sept. 7, 2025, focused on deporting criminal noncitizens in Massachusetts.
- The department said the operation builds on May’s Operation Patriot and on enforcement actions in Los Angeles this summer.
- Boston Mayor Michelle Wu and state leaders said local resources will not be used and signaled legal pushback.
- The Justice Department has already sued Boston over its sanctuary policy limiting local cooperation with federal immigration enforcement.
- The White House framed parallel operations in Boston and Chicago as part of a broader crackdown; officials said the National Guard could be called if needed.
- Federal officials cite roughly 5,000 arrests in Southern California since June as evidence of recent enforcement ramp-ups.
- State and city officials characterize the moves as politically motivated and warned of community disruption.
Verified Facts
The Department of Homeland Security told reporters that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement launched “Patriot 2.0” to focus on what it described as “the worst of the worst criminal illegal aliens” living in Massachusetts. DHS said the effort follows the earlier Operation Patriot conducted in May and law-enforcement actions in Los Angeles this year.
Boston Mayor Michelle Wu publicly said on Sept. 7 that Boston will not divert local police or municipal resources to assist federal immigration enforcement. In a statement, she warned that the city’s constitutional and statutory responsibilities must be respected and said city officials are prepared to pursue legal remedies if federal agents exceed legal bounds.
The Justice Department filed a lawsuit against Boston earlier this month challenging the city’s sanctuary-style policies, which limit local cooperation with federal immigration detainers and inquiries. Federal officials say the lawsuit and the new operation reflect a more aggressive posture toward jurisdictions the administration labels as sanctuary cities.
White House and DHS officials told news outlets that the Boston operation is being coordinated with increased enforcement in Chicago and modeled after arrests carried out in Los Angeles in June. The administration said it has the authority to call in the National Guard to support operations if a peacekeeping presence is deemed necessary.
Context & Impact
The announcement arrives amid a politically charged environment: Boston is holding a mayoral primary this week, where Mayor Wu faces several challengers. Local leaders argue that large-scale federal enforcement operations can undermine trust between immigrant communities and city services, potentially reducing cooperation with police and harming public safety.
Legal experts and civil-rights groups are likely to scrutinize operational tactics and whether federal agents comply with local, state, and constitutional protections. The Justice Department’s pending suit against Boston already signals that some disputes will be resolved in court rather than at the negotiating table.
Community organizations and labor groups have warned that aggressive raids can disrupt workplaces, schools, and hospitals. Elected officials in Massachusetts say they will prioritize protecting municipal resources and documenting any federal activity that may violate local laws or residents’ rights.
Official Statements
“No Boston police or local resources will be co-opted into federal immigration enforcement and their mass deportation agenda,”
Mayor Michelle Wu
“Under President Trump and Secretary Noem, nowhere is a safe haven for criminal illegal aliens,”
Department of Homeland Security (summary)
Unconfirmed
- Exact number of arrests planned in Massachusetts under Patriot 2.0 has not been released by DHS.
- Specific operational tactics, target lists, and timelines beyond the initial announcement remain undisclosed.
- Reports that the National Guard will be deployed are contingent on future decisions and have not been confirmed as imminent.
Bottom Line
The federal surge marks a clear escalation in the administration’s approach to cities that limit local cooperation with ICE. Expect legal challenges, heightened political debate in Massachusetts, and increased scrutiny of how federal agents carry out arrests and deportations on municipal streets.