On Day 701 of the Israel-Hamas war, Israeli authorities on September 6, 2025, urged civilians in northern Gaza to move toward Khan Yunis as the military continued operations; Washington said it was engaged in deep negotiations over hostages while regional tensions persisted after strikes and counterstrikes involving Iran.
Key Takeaways
- The IDF urged residents in northern Gaza to relocate to Khan Yunis on September 6, 2025.
- U.S. officials, including President Trump, described ongoing, intensive talks with Hamas about hostages.
- About 48 hostages remain in Gaza; 49 have been reported killed in captivity since Oct. 7, 2023.
- Hamas’s Oct. 7 attack took roughly 240 hostages and left over 1,200 people dead, including mass casualties at the Supernova festival.
- Israel conducted major strikes on Iranian nuclear sites on June 13, 2025, and Iran retaliated, causing Israeli casualties.
- The Serbian ambassador says Belgrade is working to return Alon Ohel and other hostages with Serbian citizenship.
- COGAT released documents alleging Hamas blocked evacuations of Gaza civil employees.
Verified Facts
The Israeli Defense Forces issued new movement orders on September 6, directing Gazans in the north toward Khan Yunis in the south. The advisory aligns with prior IDF efforts to relocate civilians away from active operational zones; the request is part of ongoing tactical operations inside Gaza.
U.S. statements on the same day indicated active negotiations over hostages. President Donald Trump characterized U.S. engagement as “very deep” in talks with Hamas; the U.S. also issued an executive order aimed at discouraging “wrongful detention” by allowing states to be designated for punitive measures.
Conflict-related casualty figures remain consistent with previously reported totals: more than 1,200 people killed in the Oct. 7, 2023 attack, roughly 240 hostages taken initially, 48 hostages still believed held in Gaza, and 49 confirmed killed in captivity.
Separately, Israel struck Iranian nuclear facilities on June 13, 2025. Israeli reports indicate senior Iranian military and IRGC figures were killed in those strikes. Iran launched subsequent attacks that Israeli sources say killed 28 Israelis and wounded over 1,300 people, including military personnel.
Context & Impact
The displacement advisory to Khan Yunis comes amid prolonged urban combat and humanitarian strain in Gaza. Movement orders complicate aid delivery and raise concerns for organizations trying to coordinate safe corridors for civilians.
Hostage negotiations remain politically sensitive and operationally complex. Any progress could influence Israeli domestic politics, regional diplomacy, and the tempo of military operations.
- Regional security: Strikes on Iranian sites have broadened the conflict footprint beyond Gaza.
- Humanitarian: Repeated population shifts are increasing dependency on limited aid and shelter capacity.
- Diplomatic: States involved in mediation or sanctions policies may see heightened pressure from domestic constituencies.
Official Statements
“We are engaged in very deep negotiations to secure the release of hostages,”
U.S. President, September 6, 2025 (summary)
“Serbia is working to bring Ohel and all hostages home,”
Serbian Ambassador to the United States (statement)
Unconfirmed
- Specific terms and timelines of the U.S.-Hamas talks described as “very deep” have not been disclosed; details remain unverified.
- Claims that Hamas systematically prevented all civil employees from evacuating northern Gaza are based on COGAT material and have not been independently corroborated on the ground.
Bottom Line
On Day 701 the situation remains fluid: military pressure in Gaza is driving new population movements, diplomatic efforts over hostages are active but opaque, and the broader regional confrontation following strikes on Iranian facilities continues to influence security and humanitarian dynamics. Close monitoring of verified developments and humanitarian access is essential.