Benfica calls ‘defamation campaign’ over Prestianni inquiry

Benfica has accused critics of running a “defamation campaign” against 19-year-old forward Gianluca Prestianni after UEFA opened an investigation into claims he racially abused Real Madrid winger Vinicius Jr during Tuesday’s Champions League match. The tie was halted for around 10 minutes after Vinicius reported the alleged incident to referee François Letexier and left the field with team-mates; UEFA has confirmed a probe and a potential minimum 10-match European ban if wrongdoing is established. Vinicius, who has endured multiple racist incidents in his career, posted on Instagram that “racists are, above all, cowards.” Benfica has posted video footage and publicly backed Prestianni, while anti-discrimination groups and football authorities have urged a thorough independent inquiry.

Key takeaways

  • UEFA has launched an investigation into alleged racist abuse directed at Vinicius Jr during Benfica v Real Madrid; the Champions League tie was paused for about 10 minutes after the report to the referee.
  • Gianluca Prestianni has denied directing racist language and faces a possible minimum 10-match European ban if UEFA disciplinary proceedings find him guilty.
  • Benfica posted footage on its official X account and stated it “fully supports” Prestianni, calling the broader reaction a “defamation campaign.”
  • Real Madrid players left the pitch temporarily; match official François Letexier activated UEFA’s anti-racism protocol during the stoppage.
  • Kick It Out and other anti-discrimination voices criticized Benfica and manager José Mourinho for appearing to back the player rather than emphasising full cooperation with investigators.
  • FIFA president Gianni Infantino condemned racism in football, praised the referee’s response and urged stakeholders to hold perpetrators to account.

Background

Racial abuse in European football has been a recurring problem, with Vinicius among the highest-profile players to report repeated incidents over recent seasons. Clubs, governing bodies and fan groups have increasingly adopted anti-racism protocols—such as pausing matches and reporting procedures—intended to make it easier to identify and sanction offenders. UEFA’s disciplinary framework allows for investigations and bans of varying lengths depending on severity and corroborating evidence; the organisation has followed up on high-profile allegations in past campaigns with investigations and sanctions when evidence supported them.

Benfica is one of Portugal’s most prominent clubs with a long history and a broad fanbase; it referenced Eusebio in defending its identity against claims of racism. Real Madrid, a rival with its own global profile, has consistently pushed for stronger action on discrimination in the game. The social and political context around incidents like these has tightened scrutiny of how clubs and managers respond publicly—statements perceived as dismissive can attract rapid criticism from anti-discrimination organisations, media and the public.

Main event

During Tuesday’s Champions League fixture, Vinicius told referee François Letexier he had been subjected to racist abuse. Officials paused the match for roughly 10 minutes while the protocol was implemented and Real Madrid players temporarily left the field. UEFA confirmed it will investigate the claims and review available audiovisual and testimonial evidence as part of its disciplinary procedures. The precise words alleged to have been used were not publicly detailed by UEFA at the time of the announcement.

Prestianni has publicly denied the accusation and Benfica posted video clips of the incident on the club’s official X account, arguing that the distance between the involved players made the claim of heard slurs implausible. The club said it “fully supports” the player and lamented what it called a defamation campaign against him. Manager José Mourinho said after the match he had heard conflicting accounts from Vinicius and Prestianni, and invoked Benfica’s history—citing Eusebio—as evidence that the club stands against racism.

Vinicius reiterated his position on social media, writing that racists are “cowards,” while FIFA president Gianni Infantino called the episode “shocking and saddening” and praised the referee for using the anti-racism protocol. Anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out criticised Benfica’s and Mourinho’s initial responses, arguing clubs should prioritise cooperation with inquiries rather than immediate defence of players when allegations concern discrimination.

Analysis & implications

The incident highlights tensions between swift public defence of a player by a club and the broader imperative to ensure impartial investigations into racist abuse. Benfica’s prompt public backing of Prestianni reflects a common initial instinct by clubs to defend their players, but advocates argue such reactions risk appearing dismissive of victims and of the seriousness of racism in sport. That dynamic can compound harm for those alleging discrimination and may influence public perception of the club’s stance regardless of the eventual disciplinary outcome.

For UEFA, the case is another test of its disciplinary and investigatory processes for racism allegations. The outcome will hinge on audiovisual evidence, witness testimony and any corroboration that can be established—not all incidents leave clear-cut evidence, which complicates enforcement. A confirmed finding would likely lead to a multi-match European ban for the player and could prompt wider sanctions or mandates for the club to work on fan behaviour and education programs.

There are reputational and commercial stakes for all parties: Real Madrid must show support for its player while cooperating with investigations; Benfica risks criticism if perceived to have minimised an allegation; and UEFA and FIFA face pressure to demonstrate consistent, transparent application of anti-discrimination rules. In the longer term, the episode may reignite debates about stadium safety measures, audio capture in grounds, and how to better document alleged incidents so they can be fairly adjudicated.

Comparison & data

Item Fact
Match interruption About 10 minutes while anti-racism protocol applied
Investigation Opened by UEFA; disciplinary process pending
Potential sanction Minimum 10-match European ban if found guilty
Public stances Benfica defends player; Kick It Out criticises club response

The table summarises the immediate, verifiable elements of the incident as reported publicly by the clubs, football bodies and anti-discrimination organisations. It does not resolve contested claims about the content of the alleged abuse, which remains subject to UEFA’s review of evidence and testimony.

Reactions & quotes

Official and public responses have been immediate and polarised, reflecting both the sensitivity of racism in football and the complexities of on-field disputes.

“Racists are, above all, cowards.”

Vinicius Jr (social media)

Vinicius used social media to condemn the alleged abuse and express the personal toll of repeated incidents; his status as a recurrent target has driven calls for systemic change.

“It’s a natural inclination to want to believe your player, but the reality is they didn’t hear it.”

Sanjay Bhandari, chair of Kick It Out

Kick It Out’s chair argued clubs should emphasise cooperation with investigations rather than immediate disbelief of complainants, highlighting a wider debate about best-practice responses to allegations of discrimination.

“There is absolutely no room for racism in our sport and in society – we need all the relevant stakeholders to take action and hold those responsible to account.”

Gianni Infantino, FIFA president

FIFA’s president underscored the broader policy expectation that football authorities, clubs and governments must act to counter racism and support protocols designed to address it.

Unconfirmed

  • Exact wording of the alleged comments reported by Vinicius has not been publicly released and remains subject to UEFA verification.
  • It is not yet confirmed whether additional independent eyewitnesses or clear audio evidence exist beyond the footage Benfica posted.

Bottom line

The incident again places football’s anti-racism mechanisms under public scrutiny: the immediate factual elements—match halt, UEFA probe, club defence and public condemnation—are clear, but the contested specifics of what was said remain unresolved. How UEFA adjudicates this case will matter not only for the individuals involved but for broader trust in how football handles allegations of discrimination.

For clubs, the episode is a reminder of the reputational consequences of public statements: backing players is understandable, but advocates say a stronger immediate emphasis on independent investigation and victim support would better serve both justice and public confidence. Stakeholders across the game will be watching the UEFA process for both its findings and the precedent it sets for handling similar incidents in future.

Sources

  • BBC Sport (media) — match report and coverage of statements from clubs and organisations
  • Benfica official X (club/official) — club statement and posted footage supporting Prestianni
  • UEFA (official) — governing body responsible for the opened investigation and disciplinary process

Leave a Comment