Sen. Tammy Duckworth: Trump ‘essentially declared war’ on Chicago, no signs of deployment

Lead: On Sept. 7, 2025, Sen. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) told CBS’s Face the Nation that President Trump had “essentially just declared war” on Chicago after recent posts and remarks; she also said there are currently no indications that federal troops are being readied to enter the city.

Key Takeaways

  • Duckworth criticized President Trump for rhetoric suggesting a federal military intervention in Chicago.
  • Trump posted a Truth Social image and signed an executive order renaming the Department of Defense the “Department of War.”
  • The administration has deployed National Guard forces to Los Angeles in June; a judge found that deployment violated federal law in California.
  • Vice President J.D. Vance said there are “no immediate plans” to send Guard forces to Chicago.
  • Illinois officials inspected Naval Station Great Lakes and were told only office space for immigration agents was requested, not barracks or detention facilities.
  • A CBS News poll found 58% of Americans oppose sending National Guard troops to other cities; 85% of Republicans support such deployments.

Verified Facts

On Sept. 7, 2025, Sen. Tammy Duckworth publicly responded to President Trump’s recent social media post and remarks about Chicago, calling them unprecedented and saying she takes presidential statements seriously because of their weight. Duckworth appeared on Face the Nation and said the president’s language amounted to declaring war on a U.S. city.

Earlier that week, President Trump posted a Truth Social image with text referencing the “Department of WAR” and on Friday signed an executive order to rename the Department of Defense the Department of War. A formal name change would require congressional approval.

The president has repeatedly signaled he might send federal forces to several U.S. cities as part of a broader push on crime and immigration. In June, his administration deployed the National Guard to Los Angeles; California’s governor challenged that deployment and a judge ruled last week that it violated federal law in that state.

Vice President J.D. Vance told reporters in the days following the president’s comments that the administration had “no immediate plans” to deploy National Guard troops to Chicago. Duckworth and other Illinois officials said they have not been contacted by the administration to coordinate such an operation.

Context & Impact

Federal deployments of military or National Guard forces to U.S. cities raise complex legal and operational questions. Governors and local law enforcement typically play central roles in coordinating such actions, and past use of federal forces has prompted litigation and political resistance.

Local leaders in Chicago and Illinois have pushed back against federal threats of intervention. Duckworth visited Naval Station Great Lakes after reports that federal immigration agents would be based there; military officials reportedly said only office space for immigration enforcement was being requested.

Public opinion appears divided: a CBS News poll released Sept. 7 found 58% of Americans oppose sending National Guard troops to cities beyond Washington, D.C., while 85% of Republicans support such deployments. The split suggests potential political consequences if the administration pursues large-scale deployments.

  • Potential legal challenges: state officials and civil liberties groups could sue over domestic deployments.
  • Operational limits: military facilities and personnel are constrained by law and Department of Defense rules.

Official Statements

“This is not normal. This is not acceptable behavior.”

Sen. Tammy Duckworth (Face the Nation, Sept. 7, 2025)

“We’re not going to war. We’re going to clean up our cities… That’s not war, that’s common sense.”

President Donald J. Trump (press comments, Sept. 7, 2025)

Unconfirmed

  • Whether the administration will ultimately order troops into Chicago — President Trump has signaled intent, but officials report no current preparations.
  • Whether the Truth Social image and related rhetoric indicate a concrete operational plan rather than political messaging.
  • Any finalized timeline or detailed plan for housing, logistics, or mission scope inside Chicago beyond general statements.

Bottom Line

Sen. Duckworth’s comments highlight serious concern among Illinois leaders about presidential rhetoric that suggests a possible military-style intervention in a U.S. city. As of Sept. 7, 2025, federal and state officials report no clear evidence that troops are being prepared for deployment to Chicago, but the administration’s public statements and an executive order to rename the Defense Department have intensified scrutiny and could prompt legal and political contests.

Sources

Leave a Comment