— The Pentagon reported that two Venezuelan military aircraft flew close to a U.S. Navy destroyer, the USS Jason Dunham, in international waters, calling the action a highly provocative move that aimed to disrupt ongoing counter-narcotics operations.
Key Takeaways
- The incident occurred on Sept. 4, 2025, in international waters near US Navy operations.
- The Pentagon described the maneuver as a highly provocative attempt to interfere with counter-narcotics and counter-terror operations.
- CBS reported the jets were Venezuelan F-16 fighters and flew over the USS Jason Dunham.
- The U.S. Navy has recently deployed eight ships to the Caribbean and the Pacific amid heightened activity.
- The episode follows a U.S. strike ordered earlier this week on a vessel alleged to be linked to the Tren de Aragua criminal group.
Verified Facts
The U.S. Department of Defense posted a statement on its social media channel reporting that two Venezuelan military aircraft flew near a U.S. Navy vessel on Sept. 4, 2025. The Pentagon said the action was intended to interfere with counter-narcotics and counter-terror operations conducted by U.S. forces.
CBS News, citing U.S. officials, reported that the aircraft were F-16 fighters and that they made a low pass over the guided-missile destroyer USS Jason Dunham, which operates in international waters. The report described the planes as armed, according to the officials CBS interviewed.
The Pentagon warned the cartel it said is operating in Venezuela against further efforts to obstruct U.S. operations. Separately, U.S. naval sources confirm an increased deployment of ships to the Caribbean and Pacific regions in recent weeks, with eight vessels noted by the Pentagon.
Context & Impact
The episode comes days after President Donald Trump announced he had ordered U.S. forces to strike a vessel in the Caribbean Sea that he said was transporting suspected members of the Tren de Aragua criminal group; officials reported 11 people were killed in that action. That strike and the subsequent jet encounter have heightened tensions between U.S. forces and Venezuelan military elements.
Military planners say such close passes by fighter aircraft raise the risk of miscalculation and complicate counter-narcotics missions that often require sustained aerial and maritime surveillance. The presence of additional U.S. ships in the region is intended to bolster operations but could also increase opportunities for further encounters.
Regional diplomats and defense analysts note the incident may affect U.S.-Venezuela interactions and could prompt additional U.S. measures to protect naval assets and interdiction efforts.
Official Statements
The Department of Defense said the aircraft action was a highly provocative move intended to interfere with counter-narcotics and counter-terror operations carried out by the U.S. military.
U.S. Department of Defense
Unconfirmed
- Precise armament status of the Venezuelan aircraft beyond reports that they were armed.
- Whether the aircraft intended to signal Venezuela’s government directly or were acting under orders from nonstate actors.
Bottom Line
The Pentagon characterizes the Sept. 4 encounter as a deliberate attempt to disrupt U.S. counter-narcotics activity. With recent naval deployments and a U.S. strike earlier in the week, the Caribbean region is experiencing increased tension that could lead to further close encounters unless diplomatic or operational de-escalation occurs.