Lead: U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Friday there has been “slight progress” in indirect negotiations with Iran mediated through Pakistan, while firmly rejecting any Iranian proposal to impose a paid “tolling system” on commercial traffic through the Strait of Hormuz. The comments came in Sweden during NATO meetings as diplomats and militaries weigh responses to Tehran’s naval moves and a U.S.-imposed blockade. The same day, the European Union moved toward new sanctions over Iran’s actions in the strait and U.S. Central Command reported dozens of vessels redirected under the blockade.
Key Takeaways
- Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Friday there has been “slight progress” in indirect U.S.-Iran talks mediated via Pakistan, while cautioning that major differences remain.
- Rubio rejected any Iranian effort to create a paid transit or “tolling” regime for the Strait of Hormuz, calling such a move unacceptable and warning of wider global consequences.
- U.S. Central Command reported 97 commercial vessels redirected and four vessels disabled since the blockade was imposed in mid-April.
- Iranian state media claimed 35 coordinated transits in the past 24 hours, while open-source trackers and the U.K. Maritime Trade Operations Center reported far lower daily passage—pre-war traffic averaged about 138 vessels per day.
- European Union ministers took a technical step to expand Iran sanctions to target officials and entities responsible for obstructing freedom of navigation in the strait.
- Lebanon’s health ministry reported the death toll from Israeli strikes in Lebanon at 3,111 with 9,432 injured; the WHO documents 169 attacks on health workers and facilities since March 2.
- Pakistan has played a central mediating role this week; reports of a visit by Pakistan’s army chief to Tehran remain in flux pending official confirmation from Islamabad.
Background
The current diplomatic and security crisis stems from the war between the U.S. and Israel and Iran that began on Feb. 28. The conflict disrupted regional shipping patterns and prompted U.S. and allied military measures aimed at preserving freedom of navigation in the Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz—a narrow chokepoint through which a large share of global oil flows historically transited. Before the conflict, roughly 138 commercial transits a day were typical through the strait.
Iran has responded to the conflict with military and administrative measures at sea, including a newly declared Persian Gulf Strait Authority and coordinated transits that Tehran says are conducted with its naval forces and in cooperation with Oman. Western governments and maritime agencies report sharply reduced, and in some cases irregular, commercial movement and disrupted vessel-tracking signals. Meanwhile, diplomatic channels—most prominently Pakistan’s mediation—are being used to explore a negotiated settlement.
Main Event
In Stockholm on Friday, Rubio told reporters that negotiators have seen modest movement in indirect talks with Tehran but that fundamental objections remain—most notably guarantees that Iran cannot obtain nuclear weapons and restrictions on enrichment. He stressed that talks are ongoing but cautioned against exaggerating progress. Rubio also said the U.S. and select partners must plan contingencies should Iran refuse to reopen the strait.
On the maritime front, CENTCOM reported that 97 commercial vessels have been redirected since the blockade began and that four vessels had been disabled. Iran’s semi-official Tasnim agency claimed 35 ships transited the strait in coordination with the Iranian navy over a 24-hour period; independent trackers and U.K. reporting showed lower and inconsistent counts, indicating substantial disruption to normal traffic.
In Brussels, EU governments took a procedural step to widen the bloc’s existing Iran sanctions framework so officials responsible for blocking the strait can be targeted with travel bans and asset freezes. The European Council described the blockade as “contrary to international law” and said measures could be introduced to hold individuals and entities accountable.
Regionally, Lebanon reported that Israeli strikes have killed 3,111 people and injured 9,432 since March 2, and the WHO has catalogued attacks on health services across Lebanon. Hezbollah and Israeli forces continue exchanges across the Israel-Lebanon front despite a U.S.-brokered ceasefire announced in mid-April, complicating broader stabilization and diplomatic efforts.
Analysis & Implications
The rejection of an Iranian “tolling” proposal by Rubio reflects a broader U.S. position that freedom of navigation in international waterways must be preserved. If Tehran attempted to institutionalize payments or restrictions in the strait, Washington and many partners view that as a precedent that could be emulated elsewhere, raising insurance and shipping costs and destabilizing global trade routes.
Even modest diplomatic movement—what Rubio described as “slight progress”—matters politically because it preserves a dual pathway: diplomacy that could reduce the risk of wider escalation, while keeping military options and coalitions on standby. For markets, the difference between a negotiated pause and sustained maritime restrictions can mean tens of dollars per barrel in oil-price swings; markets reacted positively to the prospect of de-escalation, lifting major U.S. indices on Friday.
Economic ripple effects extend to Europe, where officials now expect energy prices and inflationary pressure to remain elevated into 2027. The ECB has signaled vigilance on inflation’s lagged effects, indicating that even a stopped conflict may leave persistent price-level changes that require policy attention.
Operationally, the reported redirections and interdictions by U.S. forces complicate the logistics of neutral shipping and could incentivize use of “shadow fleet” or rerouting around the Arabian Sea and ports on the Oman-Pakistan coasts. That, in turn, raises legal and enforcement questions—who ensures safe passage, how to verify vessel identities when automatic identification systems are disrupted, and how sanctions intersect with humanitarian flows.
Comparison & Data
| Measure | Pre-war baseline | Recent reported counts |
|---|---|---|
| Average daily transits through Strait of Hormuz | ~138 vessels/day (pre-war) | UKMTO: 13 (48-hr sample); Lloyd’s List: 26 (week); Iran state media: 35 (24-hr claim) |
| Vessels redirected/disabled by U.S. forces | 0 (baseline) | 97 redirected, 4 disabled (CENTCOM, since mid-April) |
| Reported fatalities in Lebanon | N/A | 3,111 killed; 9,432 injured (Lebanon health ministry) |
These figures indicate a marked contraction of normal maritime traffic and point to wide variance among reporting sources. Pre-war daily averages provide a useful baseline, but short-term counts fluctuate with military operations, reporting methods, and deliberate disruptions to tracking systems.
Reactions & Quotes
“I don’t want to exaggerate it, but there’s been a little bit of movement, and that’s good.”
Secretary of State Marco Rubio
Rubio framed modest diplomatic progress as hopeful but limited; he repeated core U.S. demands that Iran not be allowed nuclear weapons and that maritime freedom be restored.
“The E.U. will now be able to introduce further restrictive measures in response to Iran’s actions undermining the freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz.”
European Council (official statement)
EU officials characterized the step to expand sanctions as a legal and practical response to what Brussels called interference with international navigation.
“We want our rights to be restored… sanctions must be lifted, and Iran’s frozen assets must be released and returned to the country.”
Esmaeil Baqaei, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman (negotiating team)
Baqaei reiterated Tehran’s public demands in the talks: sanctions relief, return of assets, and an end to the blockade of Iranian ports and vessels as conditions for any deal.
Unconfirmed
- Iran’s claim that 35 vessels transited the strait in coordination with its navy in the past 24 hours has not been independently verified by open-source tracking for all those vessels.
- Reports that Pakistan’s Army chief Field Marshal Syed Asim Munir was en route to Tehran were contradicted by Pakistan’s Foreign Ministry spokesman, who said he was “not aware of any visit right now.”
- Allegations that Oman has formally agreed to join an Iranian-led “tolling” mechanism lack official confirmation from Omani authorities.
Bottom Line
Friday’s developments show diplomacy and deterrence proceeding in parallel: negotiators report modest movement, but operational and legal frictions at sea persist. Rubio’s public rejection of a tolling scheme signals U.S. willingness to contest any effort to normalize paid or restricted passage through a major international waterway, while leaving open coordinated diplomatic and military options.
For markets and regional stability, the near-term outlook depends on whether indirect talks produce a deal that addresses nuclear constraints, sanctions relief, and maritime access. Even if a political agreement is reached, lingering economic aftershocks—higher energy prices and disrupted supply chains—are likely to persist well into 2027, according to EU forecasts. Close monitoring of vessel traffic, sanctions designations, and on-the-ground developments in Lebanon and Iraq will be critical in the days ahead.
Sources
- CBS News — Live updates on Iran war and negotiations (news outlet)
- U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) (official military)
- European Council / EU (official statement) (official/EU institution)
- World Health Organization (WHO) (international health agency)
- Lloyd’s List Intelligence (maritime industry analysis)